5th Grade Battle of the Books for Kids
5th graders who live or go to school in Clinton Township or Macomb Township are invited to join us for our annual 5th Grade Battle of the Books. To participate, form a team of 2-5 students then read a selection of excellent books from a variety of genres. Full title list will be available here November 7th, 2022 after 3pm. On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2pm the Battle will commence at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library Main Library (40900 Romeo Plank Road). All teams will gather and answer questions about the books. This program is for 5th graders only.
Please see the letter below for tips for additional Battle information and tips for coaches:
Battle of the Books Format
- Team members sit together on the floor. Pencils, answer sheets, and clip boards will be provided for writing the answers.
- Each team must have an adult coach present at the Battle.
- Coaches do not sit with their team during the Battle.
- The Battle will include a total of 50 questions.
- There will be at least two questions about each book. The questions will consist of a direct quote from a character in the book, a question or statement about something that happens in the book, a passage taken directly from the book, or a question about something from an illustration or picture.
- Teams will be asked to name the book and the author.
- Teams will have 30 seconds to quietly discuss their answers and write the title and author on an answer sheet. Answers are strictly from memory. No notes or books may be used.
- The team member who is writing the answer will write the title and the author on the paper provided and give the paper to the volunteer who is collecting the answers.
- When the 30 seconds are up, time is called, all pencils must be put down, and written answers must be turned in.
- Give the title of the book. If the book has a subtitle, the subtitle does not need to be included in the answer. The words “A”, “An”, and “The” at the beginning of a title also do not count and can be left out.
- Both the first and the last name of the author must be included to receive a point for the author.
- The head judge is the final authority on correct or incorrect answers.
Correct title & correct author – 2 points
Correct title & no author – 1 point
Correct author & no title – 1 point
Author and title do not match – 0 points
All scores are based on written answers only.
Sample Questions Coming Soon!
Alone by Megan Freeman
Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson
My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish by Mo O’Hara
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Rocket to the Moon by Don Brown