5th Grade Battle of the Books
This is a chance for any 5th graders who are interested to form their own team of 3-5 students, then read a selection of excellent books from a variety of genres. The program will culminate in a trivia battle at the Chippewa Valley High School gymnasium on Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 2pm where all teams will gather and answer questions about the books. This program is designed for 5th graders only.
Below is some information about how the actual competition, including scoring, will work:
Battle of the Books Format
- Team members sit together on the floor. Pencils, answer sheets, and clip boards will be provided for writing the answers.
- Each team must have an adult coach present at the Battle.
- Coaches do not sit with their team during the Battle.
- The Battle will include a total of 50 questions. There will be at least two questions about each book. The questions will consist of a direct quote from a character in the book, a question or statement about something that happens in the book, a passage taken directly from the book, or a question about something from an illustration or picture.
- Teams will be asked to name the book and the author.
- Teams will have 30 seconds to quietly discuss their answers and write the title and author on an answer sheet. Answers are strictly from memory. No notes or books may be used.
- The team member who is writing the answer will write the title and the author on the paper provided and give the paper to the volunteer who is collecting the answers.
- When the 30 seconds are up, time is called, all pencils must be put down, and written answers must be turned in.
- Give the title of the book. If the book has a subtitle, the subtitle does not need to be included in the answer. The words “A”, “An”, and “The” at the beginning of a title also do not count and can be left out.
- Both the first and the last name of the author must be included to receive a point for the author.
- The head judge is the final authority on correct or incorrect answers.
Correct title & correct author – 2 points
Correct title & no author – 1 point
Correct author & no title – 1 point
Author and title do not match – 0 points
All scores are based on written answers only.
Why should kids have all the fun? Get ready for adult Battle of the Books!
Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2pm – Main Library Auditorium
Battle of the Books is a team-based trivia game, where readers compete for fun and prizes.
It’s about READING:
We’ll choose six books – read them and study up to answer trivia questions about the selected books. The book list will be announced on May 13.
It’s about FUN:
Get a bunch of friends or family together, choose your team name and dress up in costume as you battle it out!
It’s about PRIZES:
Prizes will be given for first, second, and third place. Snacks for everyone!
Frequently Asked Questions
How old do you have to be?
There is no age requirement, but the book list is comprised of titles geared to adults.
Who is eligible to participate?
At least one team member should have a card from the Clinton-Macomb Public Library.
How big are teams?
Teams may have up to 6 members, but only one team member should register.
Do I have to read all the books?
Questions will come from all six books, but not every team member has to read every one – you can split them up to divide and conquer, or try to read every one – it’s up to you!
Where can I get a copy of the books?
Copies of the books will be available at the Popular Materials Desk on the first floor of the Main Library starting May 13.
- Registration will open May 13, and teams must be registered by Nov. 8.
- There are no books, no notes, and no phones allowed at the team tables.
- All answers will be handwritten; answers must be legible to earn points.
- Each correct answer is worth 1 point. There are 30 questions total.
Erika (spelling counts!)