Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 2pm – Online
Battle of the Books is a team-based trivia game, where readers compete for fun and prizes.
It’s about READING:
We’ll choose six books – read them and study up to answer trivia questions about the selected books.
It’s about FUN:
Get a bunch of friends or family together, choose your team name and dress up in costume as you battle it out!
It’s about PRIZES:
Prizes will be given for first, second, and third place. Snacks for everyone!
Frequently Asked Questions
How old do you have to be?
There is no age requirement, but the book list is comprised of titles geared to adults.
Who is eligible to participate?
Anyone with a card in the CMPL system can register, but only one person per team should register. If you live in Macomb County, but don’t have a library card in the CMPL system, please call 586-226-5050 to register.
How big are teams?
Teams may have up to 6 members, but only one team member should register.
Do I have to read all the books?
Questions will come from all six books, but not every team member has to read every one – you can split them up to divide and conquer, or try to read every one – it’s up to you!
Where can I get a copy of the books?
Copies of the books are available for pickup at any of our branches, or online in OverDrive/Libby.
- Register your team here.
- Each correct answer is worth 1 point. There are 40 questions total.
5th Grade Battle of the Books
5th graders will form their own team of 1-5 students then read a selection of excellent books from a variety of genres. On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 2pm the Battle will commence virtually via a Zoom meet and all teams will gather and answer questions about the books using a Google Sheet though a link that will be provided to each team ahead of the Battle. This program is for 5th graders only.
Please see the links to additional documents for more information:
Battle of the Books Format
- Team members will work together in whatever way they choose. This may mean they gather at one location and watch the Battle together, but if you cannot be in the same location you may want an additional device to do a call, video call, or video meet with your team and the ability for each team member to add to the Google Sheet (or designate one person to fill in answers).
- The Battle will include a total of 50 questions.
- There will be at least two questions about each book. The questions will consist of a direct quote from a character in the book, a question or statement about something that happens in the book, a passage taken directly from the book, or a question about something from an illustration or picture.
- Teams will be asked to name the book and the author.
- Teams will have 30 seconds to discuss their answers and type the title and author on their Google Sheet before we move on to the next question.
- Answers will not be reread for any reason, including technology issues, unless the issue is on our end.
- When the final question is read and the 30 seconds to answer has expired, the final time will be noted. If any edits are made to your answer sheet after that time, your team will be disqualified. All teams will lose access to their Google Sheet immediately following the Battle.
- Give the title of the book. If the book has a subtitle, the subtitle does not need to be included in the answer. The words “A”, “An”, and “The” at the beginning of a title also do not count and can be left out.
- Both the first and the last name of the author must be included to receive a point for the author.
- The head judge is the final authority on correct or incorrect answers.
Correct title & correct author – 2 points
Correct title & no author – 1 point
Correct author & no title – 1 point
Author and title do not match – 0 points
All scores are based on typed answers only.
- An award ceremony will take place on Zoom on Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 6pm to announce the winners.