5th Grade Battle of the Books for Kids
5th graders will form their own team of 2-5 students then read a selection of excellent books from a variety of genres. On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 2pm the Battle will commence at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library Main Library (40900 Romeo Plank Road). Only teams and coaches will be allowed in the room in 2022. All teams will gather and answer questions about the books. This program is for 5th graders only.
Please see the letter below for tips for additional Battle information and tips for coaches:
Battle of the Books Format
- Team members sit together on the floor. Pencils, answer sheets, and clip boards will be provided for writing the answers.
- Each team must have an adult coach present at the Battle.
- Coaches do not sit with their team during the Battle.
- The Battle will include a total of 50 questions.
- There will be at least two questions about each book. The questions will consist of a direct quote from a character in the book, a question or statement about something that happens in the book, a passage taken directly from the book, or a question about something from an illustration or picture.
- Teams will be asked to name the book and the author.
- Teams will have 30 seconds to quietly discuss their answers and write the title and author on an answer sheet. Answers are strictly from memory. No notes or books may be used.
- The team member who is writing the answer will write the title and the author on the paper provided and give the paper to the volunteer who is collecting the answers.
- When the 30 seconds are up, time is called, all pencils must be put down, and written answers must be turned in.
- Give the title of the book. If the book has a subtitle, the subtitle does not need to be included in the answer. The words “A”, “An”, and “The” at the beginning of a title also do not count and can be left out.
- Both the first and the last name of the author must be included to receive a point for the author.
- The head judge is the final authority on correct or incorrect answers.
Correct title & correct author – 2 points
Correct title & no author – 1 point
Correct author & no title – 1 point
Author and title do not match – 0 points
All scores are based on written answers only.
Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson
Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Sea Sirens by Amy Chu
Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly