Macomb Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (MLBPH) serves all residents of Macomb County, who qualify, by providing audio books and players, large print books, equipment that enlarges text, equipment for printing Braille materials, and more.
All services are free. Materials are mailed postage free to and from the reader. For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
To qualify for this service you must be living with one of the following conditions:
- Legal Blindness: if vision in the better eye is 20/200 or less, or the widest diameter of visual field is no greater than 20 degrees.
- Visual Disability: if vision is corrected but visual acuity still is not good enough to read standard print.
- Physical Disability: if a physical limitation makes the holding of books and the turning of pages impossible or so difficult as to keep the individual from reading. Examples include: loss of arms or the use of arms; impairment of muscle and nerve control; the effects of strokes, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, polio, severe arthritis.
- Reading Disability: Organic dysfunction of sufficient severity to prevent reading printed materials in a normal manner. Required from the Federal government is an M.D. or D.O.’s signature for service.
If you or a loved one qualify for MLBPH services, please fill out the application:
Materials to Borrow
- Audio books, players and accessories
- Downloadable books for LBPH players
- Catalogs and bibliographies of recorded materials
- Audio described DVDs
- Audio magazines
- Braille books and magazines
- Audio newspapers via telephone dial-up capabilities and web
- Braille embosser (Duxbury Software)
- Adapted computer workstation (JAWS, ZoomText)
- Handheld magnifier loans
The latest addition to our offerings is a podcast for those with low vision. Listen to our first episode where Barbara and Sharon discuss how to deal with changes in vision and how MLBPH can help.Download the Communication Podcast Download the Travel and Low Vision Podcast Download the Transportation Podcast Download the Safety and Security Podcast
Has the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped made a difference in your life or in the life of someone you love? If you would like to make a donation to MLBPH, please fill out this form for donating to the Macomb Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (PDF). Or, use the online donation form to contribute.