BARD is an online catalog of downloadable books and magazines available from the National Library Service.
To download books from the BARD website you must be a registered patron of a Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, in good standing. You need a computer with a high speed internet connection, thumb drive or digital cartridge, digital player and an email account. You also need basic computer knowledge to recognize computer drives and files to use this service.
Application procedures for the BARD website:
- Complete and submit the application at the BARD website.
An email notice will be sent confirming your application was received.
- Library personnel will review your application.
- An email notice will be sent containing your approval or rejection status.
- If approved, a welcome email will be sent containing your login ID, which is your email address, and a temporary password.
- Login to the BARD website and change your temporary password to a password of your choice according to the instructions.
- Search the website for books you want to read and download them to a thumb drive or cartridge to play on your digital player.
Options for Downloading NLS Digital Books
- BARD Express offers an easier way to download digital books to your Windows computer. For more information, please visit the BARD Express website.
- BARD Downloading is a general way to download digital books to your Windows or Mac computer. For more information, please view the general downloading instructions.
- BARD Mobile is available as an app that can be downloaded to a mobile device such as an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, Android phone/tablet, or Kindle Fire. For more information, please view the BARD Mobile App instructions.