Macomb Library for the Blind and Print Disabled (MLBPD) serves all residents of Macomb County, who qualify, by providing audio books and players, large print books, equipment that enlarges text, equipment for printing Braille materials, and more.
All services are free. Materials are mailed postage free to and from the reader.
To qualify for this service you must be living with one of the following conditions:
- Legal Blindness: if vision in the better eye is 20/200 or less, or the widest diameter of visual field is no greater than 20 degrees.
- Visual Disability: if vision is corrected but visual acuity still is not good enough to read standard print.
- Physical Disability: if a physical limitation makes the holding of books and the turning of pages impossible or so difficult as to keep the individual from reading. Examples include: loss of arms or the use of arms; impairment of muscle and nerve control; the effects of strokes, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, polio, severe arthritis.
- Reading Disability: Organic dysfunction of sufficient severity to prevent reading printed materials in a normal manner.
If you or a loved one qualify for MLBPD services, please fill out the application:
Materials to Borrow
- Audio books, players and accessories
- Downloadable books for LBPD players
- Catalogs and bibliographies of recorded materials
- Audio described DVDs
- Audio magazines
- Braille books and magazines
- Audio newspapers via telephone dial-up capabilities and web
- Handheld magnifier loans
Welcome Video from the MLBPD Tech Tutor
Narration: The Art of Telling the Story
**Rescheduled for Monday September 19 at 7 p.m.**
The National Library Service (NLS) Patron Engagement Section will host the quarterly Patron Corner. The guest speakers will include Celeste Lawson, narrator and head of the NLS Media Lab. She will include other NLS narrators on her panel. The session will run for 90 minutes on Zoom, or you may call in. If you are interested in attending, please call us at (586) 286-1680 for login and phone information.
Macomb Blind Bowling League
The Macomb Blind Bowling League offers fun and friendship for visually impaired, blind, and sighted bowlers. The group meets on Wednesdays from 11:30 am until 3:00 pm at Fraser Lanes. The cost is $10 per week. Besides bowling, there are 50/50 raffles, mystery jackpots, and an end of season banquet. The league is sponsored by eight different Lions Clubs. Sighted persons are also invited to join in the fun of bowling and to help with scorekeeping and pin placement.
To get information please call the library at (586) 286-1580.
The latest addition to our offerings is a podcast for those with low vision. Listen to our first episode where Barbara and Sharon discuss how to deal with changes in vision and how MLBPD can help.Download the Communication Podcast